Sunday, September 23, 2012

#WarriorCare by #SharonPerry

 
I have to admit I was a little excited when I saw an article with the words 'Warrior Care' in the title.  I thought, Warrior care; what is it?

I know what I think it ought to be but after reading the following article entitled:  "U.S. Navy Surgeon General Highlights Warrior Care at Military Medicine Symposium"; I realize how little I really understand about our system of government.

The article was about a symposium on warrior care.

Maybe the world is more complex than it used to be.  I don't profess to know.  Either way what I expected wasn't what I got.

I was expecting to read about innovative methods in medicine being used to heal our warriors.  I don't know what these innovative methods are or should be.  I was hoping, however, that they would have been included in the above article. 

I have to confess my attention was instead drawn to the following paragraph:

Congress authorized the creation of the foundation in 1983 to serve as a focus for the interchange between military and civilian medical personnel.

I skimmed a little further to learn more about this foundation created in 1983:   Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine.

I realize collaboration between medical professionals or any profession is important.  But does Congress need to create a foundation for this interchange to happen?

Apparently this foundation is important.  So important that it is, in fact, the real focus of this article and how it fosters the exchange of information between the military, government and private sectors. 

After having lived with a Vietnam veteran who suffered from untreated, chronic and severe PTSD for 27 years; I have to say I am disappointed.  I would prefer that the funds being used to support this foundation be used to care for our warriors.   

No comments: