I know some of you will be confused since we recently observed Agent Orange Awareness Month in August. It's true we did observe AO Awareness Month in August.
My understanding is that in most states have designated October as the month of choice but in Maine, where I live, it's August. Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) introduced and passed a resolution making August Agent Orange Awareness Month.
I just found this pdf where Vietnam Veterans of America declares October as Agent Orange Awareness Month. The pdf also has a brief history of Agent Orange Awareness month.
Unfortunately I can not find the website where I first learned about Agent Orange Awareness Month and all the different states that had passed Resolutions. Here is some of the info I saved over the years:
States that Observe Agent Orange Awareness Month in October:
Agent Orange Awareness Month is honored in the following states for the month of October:
TEXAS - 1998 - 1999
VERMONT - 1999
COLORADO - 1999
LOUISIANA - 1998
NEW JERSEY - 1998
NEW YORK - 1998
ALABAMA - 1998
FLORIDA - 1998
UTAH - 1998
WASHINGTON - 1998
MARYLAND - 1998
NEW HAMPSHIRE - 1998
MINNESOTA - 1998
WISCONSIN - 1998
RHODE ISLAND - 1998
OHIO - 1998
STATES AWAITING GOVERNOR SIGNATURES:
THE STATE OF KENTUCKY HAS REFUSED TO HONOR OUR AO VETERANS
Here are some of the things you can do to create awareness:
- Get a badge, button or widget on facebook.
- Share images from our AO Awareness photo album.
- Remember those lost to Agent Orange
- The Missing Generation
- Follow Agent Orange Legacy's Blog.
- Check out Agent Orange Legacy's new website.
- Check out FAQs
- Vietnam Veterans Children Sought - Learn More.
- Join Agent Orange Legacy's new network - Viet vets are welcome!
- Living with Agent Orange?? Join our closed Facebook group
- Like Faces of Agent Orange, contact Mokie Porter &; tell your story.
- Watch our videos on our YouTube Channel
- Check out the history behind why the month of August is also designated as Agent Orange Awareness Month by visiting Senator Susan Collins website.
- Pass on our Tribute Balloon and help us spread AO Awareness worldwide.
- Learn more about agent orange and birth defects visit BDRC.