Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Veterans' family caregivers, once forgotten, now getting support through new VA program

I don't want to sound cynical but what about all the caregivers prior to September 1, 2001? I cared for my husband for 6 years. I had to leave my career in town management in order to care for my husband. I didn't receive any compensation for my loss of income or for anything else related to my husband's care. I'm not the only one. There are many wives caring for their disabled veteran husbands who served prior to September 11, 2001. Caregivers of veterans who receive a disability which is service connected should be compensated. All veterans and their families should be treated the same. Sharon L. Perry, Founder



Bredberg is what the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs calls a “hero on the homefront.” For many years veteran caregivers like Bredberg were largely forgotten.
But now for the first time the VA is offering cash compensation, health insurance and other benefits to eligible caregivers of veterans seriously injured in the line of duty since Sept. 11, 2001.

Bredberg recently enrolled in the caregiver support program at the VA Medical Center in Syracuse and now receives a monthly stipend of $1,700. The program was authorized by federal legislation passed earlier this year.

read more

No comments: