Monday, January 10, 2011

Daughter's death drives Marine's long quest for answers about tainted water


Daughter's death drives Marine's long quest for answers about tainted water

Janey hated morphine. It made her sleepy. But now, the pain was too much. She told her dad, "I hurt really bad." As a nurse came to inject morphine into an IV line, Janey stopped her.

Barely able to talk, Janey said, "I want some for my daddy ... My daddy's hurting, too."

Ensminger never cried in front of his daughter. He wanted Janey to get strength from him. But now she was slipping fast. He could see it. The Marine started to cry. "Stop it," Janey whispered.

"Stop what?"

"Stop crying," Janey said. "I love you.

"I love you, too."

Janey told him, "I know."

Those were her last words. A half hour later, Janey died.


In 1997, Ensminger had just finished making dinner. As he walked to his living room, he heard a news report on TV:
Scientists suspect pollutants in Camp Lejeune water may be linked to childhood leukemias.

No comments: